|Take part in the Commission’s Mentored Youth Trout Days. Youth under the age of 16 can join a mentor (adult) angler who has a current fishing license and trout permit to fish on March 28 on Approved Trout Waters within the 18 southeastern regional counties for regional trout season and to fish Approved Trout Waters in the other counties on April 11.
(County breakdown on Fast Facts about Trout Season)
To participate in the Mentored Youth Fishing Day, anglers 16 years of age or older (adult anglers) must possess a valid Pennsylvania Fishing License and be accompanied by a youth (less than 16 years of age) who has obtained a Mentored Youth Fishing Permit or Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission.
- The Mentored Youth Permit is free, and the Voluntary Youth License is $2.70 ($1.00 cost plus $1.70 in agent/transaction fee).
- While both the permit and the Voluntary Youth License provide the opportunity for youth to fish on Mentored Youth Fishing Days, the Voluntary Youth License provides an extended return for both Pennsylvania’s youth and the Commission.
- For each Voluntary Youth License purchased for $2.70, the PFBC receives $5 back in funding as a federal reimbursement. The same applies for each Voluntary Youth License Voucher once it is redeemed. The Commission receives no federal reimbursement for Mentored Youth Fishing Permits.
- The funds received from the sales of the Voluntary Youth License reimbursement are then dedicated toward investment in youth outreach and education programs—helping to ensure the future of fishing.
- While both the permit and the Voluntary Youth License provide the opportunity to participate in Mentored Youth Fishing Days, the Commission encourages anglers to purchase either a Voluntary Youth License or a Voluntary Youth License Voucher—for the future of fishing!
- More information about the Voluntary Youth Fishing License
- Buy a Voluntary Youth Fishing License – Instructions for buying at the Outdoor Shop
- Buy and redeem Voluntary Youth Fishing License Vouchers – Instructions for ordering, buying and redeeming vouchers
Youth anglers must obtain a Mentored Youth Fishing Permit or Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission and be accompanied by an adult angler in order to participate. Youth permits, voluntary licenses and vouchers are available at GoneFishingPA.com or at any of the more than 900 licensing agents across the state.
Other Commonwealth inland regulations apply.
Please note that once an individual turns 16, he or she must possess a valid fishing license. The youth permit or voluntary youth license is only valid until the individual turns 16.